RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Kirkcudbright Railway

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations
Castle Douglas
St Andrews Road (Castle Douglas)
Bridge of Dee
Tarff
Tongland Viaduct
Kirkcudbright

This site
Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway
Portpatrick Railway

Other sites
ScotRail


Kirkcudbright Railway 

This line is closed. The line ran from Castle Douglas to Kirkcudbright.

Survey To be entered
Engineers To be entered
Act 1861
Contractors To be entered
Opened 17 February 1864
Closed 14 June 1965
Clickable map of the Kirkcudbright Railway.
Clickable Schematic of route [Key]

Local area 

Top 

This line runs through farmed land with small towns. The line's terminus was at Kirkcudbright, the largest town on the route, and a fishing port.

Chronology 

Top

Description of route

Top

From Castle Douglas to Kirkcudbright.

Castle Douglas 

Top 

Please see the entry for the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway.

St Andrews Road (Castle Douglas)
Opened:17 February 1864 Closed:Yes
Map
Top

This was a temporary terminus in Castle Douglas until an argument over fees for admittance to the main station was settled.

Bridge of Dee
Opened:17 February 1864 Closed:Yes
Map
Top

This was a single platform station. The station is now a house.

Tarff
Opened:17 February 1864 Closed:3 May 1965
Map
Top

Tarff was also known as 'Gatehouse of Fleet' and 'Gatehouse'.


Tongland Viaduct
Map
Top

This was a large viaduct over the River Dee, now dismantled.

Kirkcudbright
Opened:17 February 1864 Closed:3 May 1965
Map
Top
Kirkcudbright station, looking south.
Kirkcudbright station, looking south.
Looking north at the former Kirkcudbright terminus.
Looking north at the former Kirkcudbright terminus (1990s).

The left photograph shows a train about to leave for Castle Douglas. The photograph is reproduced here by kind permission of James Bell.

The centre and right photographs show the terminus from the south. The trackbed is now occupied by new housing now is. The station once had an over-all roof which was cut back to the size shown in the centre photograph. The station had an interestin combined engine shed and house at the north end of the station.


Page created on 11/03/1997
Page last edited on: 17/03/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford
Portpatrick Railway Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway Kirkcudbright Tongland Viaduct Tarff Bridge of Dee St Andrews Road