RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Granton Branch

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations
Granton Junction
Coltbridge Junction
Haymarket viaduct
Murrayfield
Craigleith
Barnton Junction
Crewe Junction Yard
Crewe Junction
Pilton Junction West
Granton Gasworks
Breakwater Junction
Granton Western Breakwater
Granton High Goods
Granton (Caledonian)

This site
Barnton Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Caledonian Railway

Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway
Edinburgh Station and Branches
Leith North Branch (Caledonian Railway)

Other sites
ScotRail


Granton Branch (Caledonian Railway)

This line provided a service from the docks at Granton harbour to Haymarket in Edinburgh where it joined a line running to the main line of the Caledonian Railway.

Survey To be entered
Engineers To be entered
Act 1857
Contractors To be entered
Opened 28 ugust 1861
Closed Yes, last section in the 1980s
Clickable map of the Granton Branch

Local area 

Top 

The land between Haymarket and Granton generally drops down towards the sea. Haymarket is located to the West of central Edinburgh on high ground and Granton is a town and port on the Firth of the river Forth to the North West of Edinburgh. The area consists of older (Victorian) housing from Haymarket to Craigleith and some more modern (1950s and newer) housing at Granton. The gasometers of the Granton Gasworks can be seen for miles around. There is little industry based around the route of the old line today.

Chronology 

Top

Description of route 

Top 

This line provided a service from the docks at Granton harbour to Haymarket in Edinburgh where it joined a line running to the main line of the Caledonian Railway. The line was built as double-track. Most of the route is today a cycle-path.

Granton Junction

Top 

This was a junction with the "Edinburgh Station and Branches" line built in 1947 from Slateford Junction (Old) on the Caledonian Railway to Haymarket on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The formation of the junction is still visible, although the former route to Granton is partly landscaped and somewhat overgrown. The junction faced South-West towards Slateford.

Coltbridge Junction

Top 

Here the original line to Granton was joined by the 1864 line from Dalry junction on the main line of the Caledonian Railway. The junction faced North towards Murrayfield. The junction site is now very overgrown and difficult to discern. The embankment of the line at this point is easy to see however.

Haymarket Viaduct

Top 

At Haymarket the North-South alignment of the Granton branch crossed the West-East alignment of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway on a long girder bridge.

Murrayfield

Top

This was a two platform station added to the line in 1879. The station sits on land which is higher than the surrounding area. The station platforms remain today.

Craigleith

Top

This was a two platform station added to the line in 1879. This station is located in a cutting with an overbridge. The platforms remain today.

Barnton Junction

Top 

This junction was just to the North of Craigleith station. The junction faced South towards Murrayfield. The main line to Granton ran North from this junction and the 1894 Barnton Branch line headed off to the West from here. The location of the junction can be seen today.

Crewe Junction Yard

Top 

There was a yard to the south of Crewe Junction. It was located on the West side of the line and accessed from the North.

Crewe Junction

Top 

This was the junction with the 1864 Leith Branch. The junction faced South towards Murrayfield. The Granton line ran North and the Leith line ran East from this point. The location of the junction can be seen today.

Pilton Junction West

Top 

This was a junction with the 1864 Leith Branch. The junction faced North towards Granton. The Murrayfield line ran South and the Leith line ran East from this point. The old junction cannot be seen today.

Granton Gasworks 

Top 

The Gasworks were served by a large number of sidings to the West of the line. The sidings branched off the main line with a junction facing South towards Murrayfield. There was a station located here close to the junction with the Granton railway which was opened in 1902.

Today the Gasworks remain open and the old station building and platform remain standing. The site is not served by rail today.

I recieved the following interesting e-mail from Iain C. Purves;

"... there was a spur line, just west of Crewe Toll, down which trains carried coal to, and coke from Granton Gasworks. The gasworks had two small, beautifully maintained tank engines, which ran within the confines of the Gasworks.

"Another spur came eastbound from there to the Port of Granton, where additional supplies of coal were picked up. That line also joined to another line which ran westerly below the gas company land, to pick up and deliver supplies to the Edinburgh Aneline Dye and colour works    This line travelled easterly along the seafront before swinging up to rejoin the Caledonian line running into Leith Docks. To my recollection there was no passenger traffic on any of the lines north of the switching yard at Crewe Toll ..."

Breakwater Junction

Top 

Here the lines to the Western Breakwater and High Goods divided. The junction faced South towards Murrayfield. The Western Breakwater line ran North and onto the Western Breakwater at Granton and the High Goods line ran East.

Granton Western Breakwater

Top 

This was one of the two original terminii of the line. The tracks ran onto the Western Breakwater of the Granton Harbour. Much of the trackbed has been modified and it is difficult to discern the original route save where it ran along the breakwater. There must have been quite a sharp drop down to the Western Breakwater from the Breakwater junction, for trains leaving here this must have been a difficult departure.

Granton High Goods

Top 

This was one of the two original terminii of the line. The tracks ran into a goods shed and large goods yard. A connecting line ran to the Old Eastern Pier at the Harbour to join the Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway. The site is now used by a scrap-processing company.

Granton (Caledonian)

Top 

Here the Caledonian branch finished with a connection to the Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway at a junction which faced East to Trinity. From here the Caledonian line ran Westwards and uphill to Granton High Goods, the Edinburgh, Leith and Granton Railway having lines running Westwards to the Western Breakwater (nearby there was a Granton station maintained by the same company). There was never a passenger station on the Caledonian line here.

Today the tracks across the main road in the harbour remain in place along with some tracks belonging to the Western Breakwater line. Both are now several miles from the nearest part of the rail network.


Page created on 03/04/1998
Page last edited on: 11/03/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford