(Forth and Clyde Canal Company)
This railway is open to freight.
Train approaching Fouldubs Junction from the docks
This line runs from the town of Falkirk across
a short area of farmland followed by industrial estates to the port of Grangemouth
on the River Forth. At Grangemouth there are still extensive quays in use and
the large chemical refinery and plastics manufacturing plant.
Description of route
This railway runs from Falkirk to Grangemouth.
The line was built by the Forth
and Clyde Canal Company to block any other railway company from spoiling
their monopoly of the Grangemouth harbour. The original line was single track.
It was worked by the Edinburgh and Glasgow
Railway. The railway came into the ownership of the Caledonian
Railway when that company bought the canal company. The North British had
running powers over the line.
In later years (1908) the North British and
Caledonian built a new joint line from Swing Bridge Junction (on the Stirlingshire
Midland Junction Railway) to Fouldubs Junction to increase capacity. This
re-used the line which ran to the Carron Ironworks. British Alumium opened a
works at Bainsford in later years, which is now closed.
It is currently double track to Fouldubs Junction
and two single tracks to the Harbour and Oil Terminal. The Grangemouth shed
has now closed and the site is used to load coal into wagons (see photograph,
top). The container depot at the harbour and its line have recently re-opened.
Closed an now the site used as a rail-served transit depot.
Grangemouth Oil Termnial
(And a large number of other lines were operated for plastics and within the harbour.
The harbour even had its own network of signalboxes)
Swing Bridge Junction
Orchardhall Swing Bridge
Page created on 14/11/1997
Page last edited on: 11/03/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford