Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway
This line is closed. The line was also
known as the London
and North Eastern Railway's Hamilton Branch.
This line runs through the small town of Bothwell
and to the large town of Hamilton. Both today are suburbs of Glasgow but Hamilton
was formerly very industrial with coalmines serving the iron-making industry
in the Monklands and Motherwell. The line pretty much ran from coalpits in Hamilton
to the ironworks at Coatbridge and forge at Parkhead.
The line was built by iron and coal masters
to connect serve their pits; coal would flow from the Bothwell and Hamilton
areas north to the ironworks at Coatbridge and north west to Glasgow.
Young was contractor for contracts 1 and 3. Brand
and Son was contractor for contract 2. The
signalboxes were built by Robert
McAlpine, who went on to be a major contractor.
From Shettleston to Hamilton with a branch
from Bothwell to Coatbridge. The line was double track.
line joined the Coatbridge Branch
(North British Railway) here at a west facing junction. The main line runs
west to east and the Hamilton branched off to the south east. A pair of stub
sidings (formerly electrified) remain. There was a signalbox here in the 'v'
of the junction closed for the Yoker resignalling scheme. It opened on the 31
July 1904 replacing an earlier signalbox.
This was a signal box just to the south of
Shettleston Junction. This probably served the Acme Steel Foundry which was
located to the west of the line and just to the south of Shettleston Junction.
The signalbox closed in 1938
Mount Vernon North
Opened 1883 as Mount Vernon, closed 1 January
1917, re-opened 2 June 1919, re-named Mount Vernon North September 1952, closed
2 July 1955.
This was a two platform station with timber
platforms. A station building here was burnt when a porter tried to thaw a pipe
which turned out to be a gas pipe rather than a water one. There was a signalbox
here closed in 1927 on replacement with a groundframe. The line crossed the
and Coatbridge Railway to the south of the station. There was a link to
this line from a north facing junction, the link joining the line at an east
facing junction just to the west of where the line was crossed. Just to the
south of the link line junction (and before crossing the other line) was a branch
to the Barrachie Colliery and Brickworks which ran from a west facing junction
and then ran north.
Opened 1883, closed 1 January 1917, re-opened
2 June 1919, closed 24 September 1927.
The station here closed in 1927 but the signalbox
remained open. The signalbox replaced an earlier on in 1914 and was closed in
1960. The station remained standing after closure. There was a brickworks siding.
To the south of the station was the Broomhouse Colliery and to the north the
Calderpark Halt for The Zoo
Opened 5 July 1951, closed 2
This halt was opened in 1951 to serve Calderpark
Zoo by Mrs Cameron wife of British
Railway's Chief Regional Officer for the area.
This viaduct crossed the North Calder Water.
Opened after 1883, closed 1 February 1908.
This station closed in 1908. There was a signalbox
here, closed in 1940, and to the north of the station there were Clydesdale
Colliery sidings and the Bredisholm Branch which ran from a north facing junction
to the Bredisholm Colliery pits near Drumpeller.
Opened 1883 (or 1888), closed 1 January 1917,
re-opened 2 June 1919, closed 2 July
This station had two timber platforms and a
signalbox. The station opened in 1888. There was a link to the Viewpark Colliery
Pits No 1 and 2 a short branch from a north facing junction ran to this colliery
by the Clydesdale
Junction Railway. Between the station and Uddingston East the line crossed
over the Clydesdale
Junction Railway on a bridge above Uddingston Junction.
Opened 1 April 1878, Closed 1 Junary 1917,
re-opened 2 June 1919, re-named Uddingston East 28 February 1953, closed 2
This station had two platforms and a stone
built as well as the usual timber buildings. This was the first of the two Uddingston
stations, on this line, to be opened. There was a signalbox here opened in 1900
and reduced to a ground frame in 1955.
Bothwell (West) Junction
This was a south facing junction between the
lines from Shettleston and Coatbridge. To the west were sidings for the Bothwell
gas works. The signalbox was operated by a travelling signalman from 1955.
Rosehall South Signalbox
This was the north end of the Coatbridge branch
which joined a colliery branch of the North
British Railway at
Rosehall. The branch continued north to Whifflet and Coatbridge. The signalbox
closed in 1945.
Opened 1 May 1879, closed 1 January 1917, re-opened
2 June 1919, closed 10 September 1951.
The site of the station here has been re-developed.
The station once had both Bellshill North (closed in 1945 on singling of line)
and Bellshill South (closed 1931) signalboxes.
This was a halt and signalbox. Nearby the line
crossed over the Clydesdale
Junction Railway south of Bothwell Junction. There were branches to Bothwell
Park Colliery No 1 and 2 Pits (just to the north) and Hamilton Palace Colliery
Pits No 1 and 2 on a branch from a west facing junction (to the south). Both
branches were joint with the Caledonian
Railway. The signalbox closed in 1945.
Opened 1 April 1878, closed 1 January 1917,
re-opened 2 June 1919, closed 2 July
This was a two platform station, with a junction
immediately to the north. The station had a sandstone building and signalbox.
The signalbox was operated by a travelling signalman from 1955. Part of one
of the platforms remain (on the left in the photograph). The site has been landscaped.
The view looks north.
Just to the west of the station was the Bothwell
Castle Colliery Pits No 1 and 2. This colliery closed in 1949. The station became
the terminus of the line in 1952 due to undermining of the Craighead viaduct
just to the south of the station.
This viaduct was to the south of Bothwell station.
It was undermined and led to the line being closed between Hamilton and Bothwell
(excluded), although the line was left intact and was used durinf its own dismantling
to fill the tunnel under the Hamilton
Branch north of Burnbank.
This was a signalbox to the south of the Craighead
viaduct and served the Craighead Pit Nos 1 and 2. To the south of here the line
passed under the Hamilton
Branch. The signalbox closed in 1943.
This was a north facing junction for the goods-only
Blantyre Branch which ran west to Auchenraith and Blantyre. There was a signalbox
Auchinraith Branch Junction
This was a west facing junction for the branch
to Auchinraith Colliery Pits No 1 and 2. The branch ran first north and the
west to the pits which were also served by the Hamilton
and Strathaven Railway. The signalbox was closed in 1925 and the line worked
as a siding.
Blantyre Pits Signalbox
This was a signalbox were the line served the
Priestfield Colliery No 1 Pit and Blantyre Colliery No 2 Pit which were also
served by the Hamilton
and Strathaven Railway. The signalbox closed in 1932 and line became a long
Opened 1 April 1878 as Greenfield, re-named
Burnbank, closed 1 January 1917, re-opened 2 June 1919, closed 15 September
This station is closed and landscaped. There
was a signalbox here opened in 1888 and closed in 1941. Just to the south was
a short branch, from a north facing junction towards Earnock, which ran south
to join the Earnock Branch of the Hamilton
Opened 1 April 1878 as Hamilton Peacock Cross,
re-named Peacock Cross February 1882, closed 1 January 1917.
This was a two platform station. The area has
been landscaped, the view looks east along the former site. There was a high
signalbox (closed 1948) to the east of the station called Allanshaw which served
the Allanshaw foundry and, from a west facing junction, a branch to the Allanshaw
Colliery No 1 and 2 pits, also served by the Hamilton
Branch. Just to the east of the junction the line crossed the Hamilton
Branch and its Allanshaw Colliery branch. After closure of the line to Bothwell
the line here remained in use for a while, accessed via the Allanshaw Colliery
Opened 1 April 1878, closed 1 January 1917,
re-opened 2 June 1919, closed September 1952.
This station was the terminus of the line.
There was a signalbox here. The site has been re-developed.
Page created on 19/01/1998
Page last edited on: 11/03/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford