RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Glasgow and Garnkirk Railway

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations

This site
Caledonian Railway
Monkland Canal
Buchanan Street Extension
Lanarkshire and Dunbartonshire Railway
Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway

Other sites
ScotRail


Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway

This line is open, save for the original Glasgow Townhead terminus.

The line was renamed the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway when it was opened through from Gartsherrie to Whifflet via Coatbridge Central in 1844.

Survey 26 May 1826
Engineers Thomas Grainger
John Miller
Act 19/05/1826
Contractor Forbes & Sutherland
Riddel & Thomson
Opened 27 May 1831 Goods
27 September 1831 All
Closed No
Clickable map of the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway

Local area

Top

This line runs from the Glasgow City centre, then skirts round the north east of Glasgow, before entering Coatbridge from the north.

Chronology

Top

Description of route 

Top 

From Glasgow Townhead to Gartsherrie South Junction.

Glasgow Townhead 
(For the Monkland Canal) 

Milton Junction 
(For Buchanan Street

Balornock Shed

Robroyston West Junction 
For the Hamiltonhill branch and the Switchback line to Rutherglen. 

Robroyston 

Stepps 
(Was Stepps Road) 

Garnkirk 

Gartcosh

Top

Nothing remains of the original Gartcosh station, but a new station is under construction (March 2005) on a similar site.

Gartcosh Junction 
(Gartcosh Steelworks) 
(Caledonian Railway

Gartsherrie

Gartsherrie South Junction
Connection orginally faced Coatbridge, but when Coatbridge Central line was opened a new pair of connections was established from the Coatbridge Central line onto the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway and also onto the route to Glasgow. To reach the Caledonian Castlecary Branch trains had to cross the metals of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway briefly. 

Coatbridge Central

Top

This was a later construction which carried the line on the Coatbridge without using the Monkland and Kirkintilloch route. The Wishaw and Coltness Railway was extentended up from Whifflet to join the line here. The line was re-named the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge after this terminus was opened. The line was then extended south to join the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. 

Coatbridge Junction
(Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway)

Whifflet South Junction
(Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway
(Wishaw and Coltness Railway
(Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway)


Page created on 11/03/1997
Page last edited on: 11/03/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford