Formartine and Buchan Railway
This railway is closed. The railway provided
a service to Fraserburgh and Peterhead from Aberdeen (Dyce). Typically
this consisted of three trains in each direction daily. Further lines
were built to St Combs (closed)
and to Boddam (also closed).
Below is shown the locomotive shed at Fraserburgh.
This line runs through farmland to the north
of Aberdeen. Fraserburgh and Peterhead were, and are, major fishing ports leading
to tremendous fish traffic travelling by rail.
main line of the Formartine and Buchan Railway left the Great
North of Scotland Railway at Dyce Junction, just south of Dyce station.
The line ran from thence to Peterhead. A branch was provided from Maud Junction
to Fraserburgh. Trains to Peterhead and Fraserburgh used to divide in the sidings
to the south of Maud Junction. In later years a further line, the Boddam
branch was built from Ellon and the St.
Combs Light Railway was built from Fraserburgh to St. Combs. A long siding
was provided to RNAS Lenabo during the Great War period.
Until British Railways were created in 1948
the line to Peterhead was the main line and the Fraserburgh section was the
branch. After 1948 this was reversed.
In 1880 Lord Haddo's Railway was proposed.
This line was never built. The route would have been from Udny to Maud via Tawes
and New Deer.
Today the remains of the railway have become
the Formartine and Buchan Walkway. The picture to the right shows a remaining
section of ballast just to the south of Parkhill. The rest of the route will
soon be surfaced and suitable for walking and cycling.
This station was the junction for the Formartine
and Buchan Railway. This station has been re-opened on the Aberdeen to Inverness
railway. Orginally this station had four platforms has now only two, the Formartine
and Buchan platforms now forming the car-park. On of the station buildings remains,
in use as a shop, on the remains of the eastern-most platform. The lines of
the closed platforms can be detected underneath the gravel of the car-park and
at the south end the ends of the platforms are visible by the signal box. Please
also see the entry for the GNSR main line.
Strabathie Light Railway
This line was also known as the "Murcar
The line ran from Bridge of Don to the Seaton
Brick and Tile Company's Blackdog brickworks. It was used for both Passengers
and freight. The line was used by the Murcar Gold Club. The line was opened
in 1899 and closed North of the Murcar Golf Club clubhouse in 1924. It closed
completed in 1949.
This station was closed in 1950. As
a result its remains are not in a good state of preservation. Two staggered
platforms and a loading bank can be found. The tracks were double from here
to Elrick Signal Box. The trackbed
has been converted into the Formartine and Buchan Walkway. There is a car-park
provided to the west of the station remains. From the carpark one enters facing
the up platform. The down platform is a little further north. The goods yard
is now part of a house's garden to the west of the line behind the down platform.
The photograph to the left shows the view looking North and the photograph to
the right the view looking South.
Elrick Signal Box
This was closed in 1925 when the track between
Parkhill and Elrick was singled.
I am unsure of the exact location of the box. (To the south of the now removed
road bridge at Elrick?) This box was named after a local "big house".
From this point on the track was single. The formation of the track is still
visible. The photograph shows the trackbed near to the probable site of the
signal box. The bridge passes over a farm-road and is single track width.
This station still has its building. This building
is shown in the photograph to the left. The down platform has screens placed
along it to stop walkers from getting a full view of the old buildings.
The down platform has been hollowed out to enlarge the gardens of the neighbouring
houses. The up platform is in a good state of repair, although rather overgrown.
The up platform still has lamp standards.
There is a car-park to the north of the
station for access to the Formartine and Buchan Walkway. Further to the north
you can walk through the cutting where a number of trains became stuck in deep
snow-drifts. It's not difficult to see why. A photograph of the cutting is shown
to the right.
The remains of this station are located in
the quiet town of Udny Station. Before closure of the line the station building,
on the up platform, was demolished to make way for close-packed housing. Following
closure the goods-yard has now been converted into a play park. The lengthy
platforms remain and the station still bears a resemblance to its operational
appearance. There is no car-park here but access can be gained by a farm-track
to the north-west of the road bridge. The photograph shows the view looking
North from the down platform. The fence runs along the top of the up platform.
To the south of this point the remains of the signal box can be found.
The platforms remain along with the station
building (now a residence and fenced off from the line). There is no pedestrian
access. There is no car-parking available in the area. The photograph show the
view from a roadbridge to the north of the station. The station building is
to the left of the platform.
Since the loop at this station was removed
in 1919 the up platform has disintegrated more than the down platform. The station
building is now in use as a house. The garden sports a loading bank. The photograph
shows the building on the Down platform. The photograph was taken from the up
There is no official parking in the area but
may be found on the grass verges on the road to the north of the station.
This station was the junction for the Boddam
branch. The station, at its height, had three platforms and a substancial
goods yard. The main platforms have survived. The up platform was the west face
of an island platform. The other side of the island was for the branch trains.
Although the island is now preserved as a garden for the flats now built on
the down platform its branch side is broken down and topped with a fence. The
south end of the platforms is shown in the photograph to the left. Behind the
fence there are industrial premises where the goods yard was. The base
of the water tank exists to the north of the station. This is shown in the photograph
to the right. No buildings survive. The lower photograph on the right shows
the view looking South from by the Water tank at the North end. The branch was
off to the extreme right. Some portions of the platform at the North end are
in excellent condition and exhibit worn surfaces from use.
There is meant to be official Formartine and
Buchan Walkway parking here, but I couldn't find it. There are vistors parking
places for the flats and a hotel.
The platforms at this station are now overgrown,
but survive. The goods yard now forms the garden of the station building, following
conversion to a house. The photograph shows the station looking North. The up
platform is on the Right and a little further away, by the building, is the
down platform. The loading bank is to the extreme left.
There is no car parking available nearby.
The platforms have survived well and
still sport lamp stands. The station building is in use as a house. A few new
buildings have been built alongside the station building. The photograph to
the left shows the station from the up platform and the photograph to the right
shows the station from the main road.
There is no official car parking available
nearby. Although it is possible to use the verges on a road nearby.
This station has been known variously as Banks,
Brucklay, Maud and Maud Junction.
This was the junction between the Peterhead
and Fraserburgh sections. Trains for Peterhead and Fraserburgh used to divide
and join in the sidings to the south of the station. The Westernmost platform
(for Fraserburgh) was not often used by passenger trains. This station had tearooms
and a buffet.
In 1915 An electric light railway to Turriff
was proposed. This line would have not had physical connection with the Formatine
and Buchan Railway or the Banff, Macduff
and Turriff Junction Railway.
Until closure of the line the station retained
a passing loop and there were sidings which were gravity shunted. Shortly before
closure large numbers of pipes for use in the North Sea Oil Industry arrived
here for dispatch by road.
The station still has four platforms
and a station building, now used as commerical premises for a number of concerns,
including a railway museum. Generally the station is in excellent condition
and looks as if the rails were recently lifted. The turntable pit can be found
in the undergrowth to the west side of the junction. The large photograph show
the turntable pit and station looking from the South-West. The photograph to
the left shows the Peterhead platforms and the photograph to the right shows
the Fraserburgh platforms. Also visible in the photograph to the right is the
base of the Maud North Signal Box. Car parking is behind the fence to the right.
There is plenty of official car-parking available
at this station.
New Pitsligo Light Railway
This light Railway ran from the mosslands and
was used for transporting cut peats.
This station was originally intended to be
the junction for Fraserburgh. The station was originally called "Mintlaw
and Old Deer".
The station survives near the hotel to the
west of the town of Mintlaw. The two platforms and station building are in reasonable,
although uncared for, condition. Presently the station is an overgrown corner
of an industrial estate. The photograph shows the building from the down platform.
The building has been partially destroyed by fire since the photograph was taken.
There was a halt nearby called "Abbey
It is possible to park in the short road which
approaches the station from the south.
This station has been converted into a house.
This was the junction for the RNAS Lenabo. Some portions of this branch are
still visable. The branch led away to the right background in the photograph.
The two platforms survive along with the station
building. The down platform has gained a number of other houses since closure.
There is no car-parking nearby.
The Lenabo branch was built by the Great North
of Scotland Railway in connection with the Royal Naval Airship Depot at Lenabo
which operated Airships (for locating enemy submarines) to protect the fleet
based at Scapa Flow during the First World War. The sidings at Lenabo included
a passenger platform. The Cruden Brick Company (near Cruden
Bay) supplied some of the construction materials.
This area is now forested. Some concrete bases
from buildings can be found amongst the trees.
The station survives as a house. The platform
also survives. The photograph shows the platform and building (the nearby building
is new) looking East from the roadbridge.
There is no parking nearby.
The station here is mostly gone but a hump
of the platform remains. The photograph shows the remains of a level crossing
between Inverugie and Peterhead. The view looks to the East. The gates and posts
remain in place.
The station building had two platforms (one
covered in a train shed). There was a good yard to either side of the passenger
station. Sidings existed for the slaughterhouse nearby the station.
The station was demolished completely. On the
site there may now be found a school and swimming baths. The photograph shows
the total destruction. The view looks East.
The harbour remains busy today. One building
remains in Wilson Street.
Peterhead Quarry Railway
The railway was built from Stirling Quarry
(Boddam) to the South Breakwater at Peterhead. A portion later took the line
to the North Breakwater at Peterhead. Prison labour was used to construct the
new Admiralty breakwater. The line carried both Passengers and Freight.
No connection existed between this line and the Peterhead section of the Formartine
and Buchan Railway or the Boddam Branch
(GNSR). Three signal cabins existed along the route and were used between
1889 and 1920 (approximately). The North Breakwater line was built around 1910.
The line was dismantled between 1950 and 1958.
This line has been largely landscaped. Portions
of an overbridge survive on the main route south from Peterhead.
The station survives, with its down platform,
as a house. The up platform is now a long low mound.
This section of the Formartine and Buchan Way
was recently opened from Aucorthie. It is interesting that the Fraserburgh section
should open after the Peterhead section; history repeating itself. The photograph
shows the station looking from the South.
Two platforms and a station building remain
at this site. The trackbed to the North end of the station has been destroyed
to make an road entry to a roads depot. The photograph shows the station, looking
from the South. A number of platform lampstandards remain, one shown in the
Car parking is available in the village.
The station is now used as a house. The trackbed,
to the dismay of the owners, has just been converted into a walkway. The owners
are likely to place a screen along the platform (which they own most of). The
photograph shows the station from the south. There was quarry nearby which was
Car parking is available near the station for
one or two cars (to the south end of the station).
Two platforms remain at this site. The photograph
shows the station's remains, looking North. A number of lamp standards remain
but the buildings have been demolished. The remains of a typical station driveway
for turning carriages remains.
Car parking is available in the nearby road
for a few cars.
The road bridge at this station has been infilled.
The trackbed walkway to the south is still undergoing construction (3/2/1997).
The station building and platform remain. The building is in use as a house.
The platform is used to store fishing equipment (nets, buoys etc). The photograph
shows the station from the south.
There is no parking nearby.
This was a private station for Lord Saltoun.
The station building and platform remain in
a good state of repair. The trackbed is an official walkway at this point. Part
of the station name board remains. The building is in use as a house. The photograph
shows the station from the south. Portions of the level crossing gates can be
seen on the right.
There is no official parking at this site but
is possible on the verges of the main road nearby.
The station used to comprise three platforms
under a glazed roof and an extensive goods yard. Trains ran from here to Dyce
Junction and St Combs. The photograph to the right shows the site of the station
platforms. Sidings existed to the south west of the station for the Consolidated
Pneumatic Tool Company.
The station was demolished and today a road
uses the trackbed from the station site to the junction with the St Combs line. The
old station yard is used by many fisheries companies for building premises.
The goods handling area is shown in the photograph to the left; the area is
now used as a truck park. The locomotive shed remains and is used by a fish
packing company for storage space. At least the fishing industry has survived.
Parking is available on the streets of the
industrial estate occupying the station yard site.
Ordnance Survey Grid References
1. NJ.884.128 DYCE (X Miles)
2. NJ.890.145 PARKHILL
3. NJ.894.180 Elrick
4. NJ.889.203 NEWMACHAR
5. NJ.907.243 UDNY
6. NJ.922.269 LOGIERIEVE
7. NJ.934.288 ESSLEMONT
8. NJ.950.309 ELLON
9. NJ.933.361 ARNAGE
10. NJ.931.418 AUCHNAGATT
11. NJ.926.479 MAUD
12. NJ.988.485 MINTLAW
13. NK.039.479 LONGSIDE
14. NK.023.479 LENABO
15. NK.078 481 NEWSEAT
16. NK.098.474 INVERUGIE
17. NK.127.467 PETERHEAD
18. NJ.926.505 BRUCKLAY
19. NJ.949.549 STRICHEN
20. NJ.985.559 MORMOND
21. NK.014.587 LONMAY
22. NK.016.625 RATHEN
23. NK.006.647 PHILORTH
24. NJ.997.667 FRASERBURGH
My thanks to Stuart Johnson for some updates,
comments and spelling corrections. You can visit his site by following this
link for the Buchan
Page created on 30/01/1998
Page last edited on: 11/03/2012
Contact: Ewan Crawford