A History of Britain’s Railways
Most of this line is open. This was the
first railway in Britain opened to compete with another railway (the Stockton
and Darlington Railway).
The line runs through the area to the north of Stockton; running
from uphill around Ferryhill to the north bank of the tees. It was intended
to carry coal from South Durham to the Tees in competition with the Stockton
and Darlington Railway with which it had a junction at Sim Pasture.
This was the first railway in Britain opened to compete with
Haverton Hill to the Stockton
and Darlington Railway at Sim Pasture Farm and 3 branches;
- The Deanery St Andrews Auckland (Not built)
- How Hills to Broom Hill
- Harrogate (or Harget's) House to Stockton at Brown's Bridge
2 & 3 abandoned in favour of Durham branch (Stillingmoor
Moor House and terminate at Old Elvet Street - only built as far as Ferryhill)
and Stockton branch (completed) also Sherburn branch (only built as far as Coxhoe,
but earthworks as far as Quarrington) leaving Durham branch at Ferryhill and
Byer Green branch (completed) leaving Durham branch at Ferryhill. Finally a
branch to Chilton.
As a result of the competition from this line the Stockton
and Darlington Railway extended to Middlesborough
1842 stuggles with the "Great North of England Railway
and Clarence and Hartlepool Junction Railway". Clarence backed in this
struggle by Stockton and Hartlepool Railway which it was leased to from August
1844. 30 June 1852 Stockton and Hartlepool and Hartlepool and West Harbour &
Dock Co merged along with purchase of Clarence Railway. Whole concern merged
with North Eastern
Railway in 1865.
Page created on 07/04/2000
Page last edited on 08/06/2002
Page last edited on: 07/08/2011
Contact: Ewan Crawford