RAILSCOT Logo
A History of Britain’s Railways
Search: 

Ballochney Railway

Home Home   Mail me Contact

This page
Introduction
Local area
Chronology

Locations

This site
Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway
Slamannan Railway
Monkland Railways
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
North British Railway

Other sites
ScotRail


Ballochney Railway

This railway is closed.

Survey ?
Engineers Thomas Grainger
Act 19 May 1826
Contractor Many
Opened 1828
Closed Yes
Airdrie and Newhouse Line Slamannan Railway North Monkland Railway Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway North Monkland Railway Bathgate and Coatbridge Railway Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway Clickable map of the Ballochney Railway

Local area 

Top 

This line ran through the north of Airdrie and the coalfields of the Monklands.

Chronology

Top

The line opened after the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway.

Description of route

Top

This was an eastern extension of the Airdrie branch of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. It ran east and uphill - in fact including some inclined planes. The line was built to serve coalmines and was double track. Much of its eastern end is being destroyed by opencast mining, how ironic.

Kipps shed

Top

Beside the Kipps shed the line made an end-on junction with the Kipps (Airdrie) branch of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. Slightly to the east of this location the later North Monkland Railway joined the line at an east facing junction. Nothing remains here today except the nearby gasworks which can be seen in some of the photographs of the shed here.

Lea End

Top

Lea End was a terminus on a short branch from a west facing junction. It was the first passenger terminus in Airdrie. Nothing remains today.

Commonhead

Top

Commonhead station was at the top of an incline. Nothing remains of it today, the trackbed forms a walkway. From nearby here the line split with the "main line" continuing east to Arbuckle and the branch turning south to Airdrie Hallcraig.

Airdrie Hallcraig

Top 

This passenger terminus replaced Leaend as the Airdrie station for Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway and Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway. The terminus had a fine building which has sadly been demolished. The terminus was on a short branch from a west facing junction.

Rawyards

Top

Nothing remains of Rawyards station today. It had a curved timber platform and signalbox presiding over a level crossing. Here the line split with the "main line" continuing east to Arbuckle and a branch turning south to Clarkston, this branch in itself having a further branch which ran south to the Calderbank Ironworks.

Clarkston (Old)

Top

This branch ran to the Moffat Mills and other locations in the east of Airdrie. Later it was connected to the New Monkland Line which carried the Airdrie line east to Bathgate.

Greengares  

Top 

There was a branch to Greengares.

Whiterigg/Whitrigg 

Top 

The site of this station has been destoryed by opencast activities.

Arbuckle  

Top 

This station was at the end of line, at the start of the Slammanan Railway. There were coal mines just to the south of the station on minor branches. The whole area is now being heavily opencast and the site of Arbuckle has been destroyed. To the west of Arbuckle the trackbed remains in a good state and the formation, drains and cuttings lined with stone are very clear. To the south of Arbuckle was Stanrigg - a small village with a pit served by the railway. This pit was the scene of the Stanrigg Pit Disaster.

Ballochney 

Top 

This branch was later carried through to plains.

Rochsoles  

Top 

There was a branch to Rochsoles.


Page created on 14/11/1997
Page last edited on: 07/08/2011
Contact: Ewan Crawford