Arbroath and Forfar Railway
This line ran from Arbroath to Forfar.
The line is closed (except for a short section between St Vigeans Junction
and "The Dens" sidings in Arbroath). Today the nearest station
is at Arbroath.
This line runs through farmed countryside.
There is a very old graveyard at St Vigeans, near St Vigeans Junction. There
were towns at either end of the line, but not a very high population in between.
The line opened in 1839 and by 1848 a portion
of it was part of the main line to Aberdeen from the south, via Forfar. The
line had to be re-gauged to become part of this network. The Forfar to Guthrie
section of the line remained open after the closure of the line as a through
route. Today a short portion of the line remains between Arbroath and St Vigeans
Description of route
From Arbroath to Forfar via Guthrie.
|Arbroath Catherine Street
|OS NO 640 410
This was the original terminus station in Arbroath,
The terminus was located to the east of Arbroath
station. A line continued from Catherine Street to the harbour which remained
in use as the harbour branch after closure of Catherine Street station. This
served the wet dock at Arbroath and had a connection to the Lady Loan terminus
of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. This connection was lifted on the opening
of the new Arbroath station.
To the north of Catherine Street and Arbroath
station was a junction (which faced north) with a signalbox called "Arbroath
Junction". Slightly further north was a second signalbox called "Wellgate".
The two boxes were replaced by a single box on 26/3/1911 on the site of Wellgate
by a box called "Arbroath North". This box became "Arbroath"
These are refuge sidings to the north of the
station and to the east of the running lines.
Arbroath Locomotive Shed
This was a two road shed located on the west
side of the line south of St Vigeans Junction. The shed was approached from
the junction. There was a signalbox called "Arbroath Engine Sheds"
St Vigeans Junction
This was where the North
British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway branched off to the east. The junction
faced south. The two lines ran parallel for a short distance while the route
to Montrose climbed.
There was a signalbox called "St Vigeans
Junction" here to the east of the line opened on 1880 and closed on 27/11/1960..
The signalbox also controlled access to the Arbroath Locomotive shed. Slightly
further north was St Vigeans level crossing which had a crossing keeper's house.
There was a signalbox called "Letham Mill"
here. Sidings served the mill. The line from here to Leysmill was singled on
27/12/1936. The line from here to St Vigeans Junction was out of use from 2/4/1956.
The box closed on l 2/7/1956 when the line became one engine in steam.
There was a signalbox called "Waulkmill"
and some sidings here. These served a boneworks and quarry. The box was reduced
to a ground frame on 23/11/1908 and closed on 23/6/1936 when the line was singled.
|OS NO 618 460
This view looks north. This station had staggered
platforms, one on either side of a level crossing. The southbound platform is
on the right. The northbound platform is on the other side of the level crossing
which can be seen in the distance. The site of the northbound platform now contains
a house. Appropriately the trackbed is their driveway leading up to a garage.
There was a signalbox called "Colliston" here to the north of the
level crossing and east of the line. The box became a gate box on 27/12/1936
and closed ~23/1/1965 with the line. There was a goods yard to the north of
the station, on the east side of the line, approached from the north.
|OS NO 666 478
The view looks towards Arbroath from the site
of the former level crossing. This station had staggered platforms, one on either
side of the level crossing. There was a signalbox called "Leysmill"
here to the west of the level crossing and south side of the line. A short branch
ran west from the level crossing. The line to Guthrie junction was singled on
13/9/1936 and line to Letham Mill was singled on 27/12/1936. The box closed
with the line on 23/1/1965.
There was a signalbox called "Border"
here to the south west of the line and sidings for the quarries on either side
of the line nearby. The line closed with the singling of the line on 27/12/1936.
The view looks towards Arbroath. The Forfar
line comes in from behind the camera to the right, and the Aberdeen line from
behind the camera and off to the left.
This junction was between the Aberdeen
Railway and the Arbroath and Forfar Railway. The junction allowed trains
to run from Aberdeen to Arbroath. The route was replaced on the opening of the
North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway which was built in connection with
the opening of the Tay Bridge. The formation of the junction and the location
of the box can still be discerned
in the undergrowth. The junction faced south.
There was a signalbox called "Friokheim
Junction" here to the south west of the junction. The box opened 16/7/1878
and closed 26/10/1917.
|OS NO 588 495
The railway crossed over the road here on a
bridge. The view here looks north east. To the left the route continued on to
Forfar and to the right it was joined by the spur from Aberdeen. There was a
signalbox called "Friokheim Station" here to the south of the station
and running lines. It was closed 13/9/1936 and replaced with a ground frame.
A section of the line being lifted was left for access to sidings.
Although the site of Guthrie station has been
largely landscaped (except for the main station building), the junction remains
recognisable. Both the Arbroath and Forfar Railway and the Aberdeen
Railway were double track and a loop existed on the up side of the
junction. The junction box was on the down side of the junction near the (now
removed) road underbridge. This junction allowed trains to run from Aberdeen
to Forfar. The junction faced west. There was a signalbox called "Guthrie
Junction" here opened 1880. The line to Leysmill was singled on 13/9/1936
and the box closed on 19/3/1965.
|OS NO 567 501
The site of this station has been landscaped.
A building still stands but the three platforms (one being an island platform)
and turntable have been removed. The platforms and extra track were removed
after closure of the Arbroath to Guthrie line, and before the closure of the
Montrose (Kinnaber Junction) to Forfar line. There was a signalbox called "Guthrie
Station" here to the west of the station and north of the lines. The box
was reduced to a ground frame on 30/10/1932 and closed on 17/2/1957.
To the west of the station is the "Guthrie
Gate" which is where the railway crossed the access road to the Guthrie
estate. The railway was encouraged to build a castlated bridge with a gatehouse
built into it.
|OS NO 537 510
This station remains in a good state of preservation.
To the west of a road overbridge were the two platforms, which still exist although
the timber buildings have gone, to the east of the bridge was the main station
building, still standing, and the goods yard. The station building is similar
to that which stood at Alyth Junction. A bothy still stands along with a signalbox
which was called "Auldbar Road". The signalbox is to the north of
the former running line and east of the road overbridge. The box closed on 28/6/1966.
Closed:1/1/1917 Re-opened:1/6/1919 Closed:5/12/1955
|OS NO 497 519
This station was located by a level crossing.
The station building still stands and the platform area is now the garden. There
was a signalbox called "Clocksbriggs" here located to the east of
the level crossing and south of the line which closed with the line on 3/9/1967.
There was a goods yard on the north side of the line, approached from the east.
Forfar North Junction
The line was met by the Scottish
Midland Junction Railway at this point. There were two junction here, between
the original line and the Forfar
and Broughty Ferry line (junction faced west) and the original line and
Midland Junction Railway which faced east. There was a signalbox called
"Forfar Junction" (opened 1870), and later renamed "Forfar North"
(on 7/1/1895), here. The box was located to the north of the junction and had
a line from the Forfar locomotive shed to the north of it which joined the main
line slightly further east. The extensive fan of rails to the Forfar goods yard
also west from here and were approached from the east. The box closed when the
line was singled on 4/9/1967 and worked one engine in steam.
The cutting which carried the line to Broughty
Ferry has been infilled. Nothing remains of the box, but a roadbridge over the
trackbed remains. From here the line to Forfar Playfield ran south west and
had a level crossing before the old station. The alignment from the junction
to the level crossing is now an industrial estate access road.
|OS NO 458 511
This was the original terminus which was replaced
by Forfar (New) when the Scottish
Midland Junction Railway opened. After that date the station was used for
freight. Some hints of the site remain (embankments) but houses have been built
on the site. There was a linen works to the south of the station, a gasworks
and sawmill. Some years after closure to passengers the line to Forfar North
Junction was singled.
Page created in 1996
Page last edited on: 07/08/2011
Contact: Ewan Crawford