Anstruther and St Andrews Railway
This line is closed. The line ran round
the East Coast of Fife between the towns in its title.
||26 August 1880
||1 September 1883
The links at St Andrews are famous as the "home
On opening of the line the terminii at St Andrews
and Anstruther were closed having been replaced. The St Andrews station was
run through by the line extending to Anstruther - it became a goods station.
The new Anstruther station was across a river bridge from the old station which
also became a goods yard and lay to the south of new the running lines.
Description of route
From Anstruther to St Andrews.
This was a two platform station is a shallow
cutting. The site of the station has been landscaped. In later days the former St Andrews
platform line became a terminating platform for trains from the west while the westbound platform
remained in use for trains in both directions.
This was a two platform station. The station
still stands as a house by a garden centre. The garden centre occupies the goods
The southbound platform at this station still
remains. The East of Fife Central
Railway (Lochty Railway) was originally intended to terminate here - and
the railway here was made double track in preparation.
This was a single platform station. The platform
and station building still stand. It is now a private house.
This station was in a cutting. The station
building and platform remain here. It is now a private house.
This station was to the east of the A915, south
of St Andrews. The location has been partly landscaped. The A915 crossed the
line on a bridge. The line ran east-west at this point. The station had a single
platform and building to the north of the line and siding to the south of the
St Andrews (New)
This station was in a cutting with stone retaining
walls. The station had a broad island platform and large canopied building.
The line ran slightly further north to the St
Andrews Railway by the Hotel. The station site is now a series of carparks
and the cutting has been filled. The embankment running to the Hotel is still
partly there, with missing bridges over roads.
The station was initially jointly owned by the
NBR and A&StAR companies, the NBR owning the line west through the old St Andrews
station by the golfcourse. The NBR extended the line to the new station from the old station, this
portion was not built by the A&StAR.
Page created on 19/01/1998
Page last edited on: 07/08/2011
Contact: Ewan Crawford